Here are some recent drawings I sketched out for SCBWI’s drawing prompt “luminous”.
There is something about using a single word to make artwork that is fascinating. Here are seven “rules” for making art from drawing prompts. I have discovered that these things make the process interesting in itself:
- Look up the word and savor it’s etymology
- Write any thoughts that come to mind and remember to daydream.
- Make little drawings at first. There is much value in starting small.
- Always make yourself a frame to draw in. I keep a 5 x 7 rectangle around to trace from.
- Shade lightly and gradually get darker.
- Don’t be afraid to make many bad drawings.
- Make what you want to see in the world.